A Little Insight Into All Things Bailey

Saturday, January 7, 2012

DIY: Crossword Family Name Art



Pin It


I have to start this post by saying...sorry. Yeah, I've been completely MIA from the blog lately. And I hate it--I want to be on here, posting frequently about our life, because I love to go back and re-read all of my posts from when the kids were babies. Some days back then I was even posting twice a day! Good memories, lots of pictures and anecdotes about the kids and what we were up to. I need to start doing it again, and it's on my list of resolutions, I promise!

Anyway, I did accomplish a DIY project this week, and a few people on Facebook wanted to know how I made it, so I thought I would share the instructions on my blog. It was very easy to make, and has a big impact on the wall. I absolutely love how it turned out.

First, you will need to configure a crossword that will accommodate all of your family names. I decided to use our last name in the center as the starting point, more because I needed the L in Bailey than any other reason, lol. For some people, even using your last name might not be enough letters, so get creative! Add the word "FAMILY" in the middle and build from that. Or "HOME" or "LOVE" or anything you can think of that would add to the piece. There is no "wrong" way to make this project, it's completely personal. I couldn't figure out a way to get "CHUCK" to work, so I had to use "CHARLES" instead. I configured my crossword by cutting out paper squares and writing the letters in everyone's names on the tiles, and then working and re-working and re-working again my configuration until I was happy with the results. There are fancy online excel sheets you could use, but I kept it simple. Isn't that almost always the best way?

Once you've got your crossword figured out, count how many tiles you will need and head to the craft store. If you have any coupons, bust them out. You will need to buy:

MDF Coasters--I got mine at Pat Catans back in the unfinished wood section. They were $.89 for a pack of 6, but they only had 2 packs. So I had to buy 3 more sets of 4 coasters in a coaster holder, so it cost me a bit more than I would have hoped. Still, the coasters only totaled roughly $8 (for 24 coasters), not bad.

Black acrylic paint--the small bottles of paint in the craft paint section

Alphabet Stencils--I found the size I wanted in the scrapbooking section for $3

Stenciling paint brushes--I used a small, circular foam brush made specifically for stenciling, also found near the paints.

Double-stick tape for hanging

Back at home, carefully stencil each letter onto your coasters. I did end up messing up one of mine pretty badly, but the nice thing is that the coasters were the same finish on the flip side, so I just re-did it on the other side. Let your paint dry, set up your crossword configuration on a large table or even the floor, and then plan where you want to hang it! Mine is BIG--it takes up a good portion of our large hallway wall. I simply used a strip of double-stick tape on each coaster and pressed it good and hard onto the wall. They seem to be up there and not going anywhere any time soon!

There you have it. Very simple instructions for a personalized project with a lot of WOW. I hope you love how it turns out. I think this would also make a fantastic wedding gift for a new couple, and then you could give them extra blank coasters and the stencils for later down the road if they have children. Cute, right? And I promise to be a better blogger in 2012. Happy New year to everyone who is actually still reading this thing!

~ Barbara

1 comments:

Name Art said...

You are right said. I completely understand this. You have the good ideas share about your own post. Thank you!